1) Why Do We Smoke Cigarettes? Smoking is Fun.
– Smoking, for many of us, then, became a substitute for our early habit of following the whims of the moment; it becomes a legitimate excuse for interrupting work and snatching a moment of pleasure.
– “You sometimes get tired of working intensely, and if you sit back for the length of a cigarette, you feel much fresher afterwards.”
2) Why Do We Smoke Cigarettes? Smoking is a Reward.
– A cigarette is a reward that we can give ourselves as often as we wish.
– I deserve a little fun. I’ll have a cigarette.
– In general, smoking introduces a holiday spirit into everyday living.
3) Why Do We Smoke Cigarettes? Smoking is Oral Pleasure.
4) Why Do We Smoke Cigarettes? The Cigarette — A Modern Hourglass.
– Frequently the burning down of a cigarette functions psychologically as a time indicator.
– It is much easier to watch a cigarette get smaller and smaller than to keep watching a clock and look at the hands dragging along.
– When we are in a hurry, and yet have to wait, a cigarette gives us something to do during that trying interval.
To be continued…